Oh yes, things to note about this bread. It has eggs, a good hit of sugar, and a fair amount of fat, in the form of oil. All the Challah formulas I've seen use oil, but just the other day I saw one that used butter. Anybody know how kosher that is, to use butter and all? Because I know there's something about keeping dairy products away from animal products. And so, oil in the presence of egg is better than butter with egg, or at least that has been my assumption.
Also, whenever you put egg yolks in bread, they help keep it soft and rich (because of the fats), but they also keep the bread "fresh." Yolks have lecithin, which is an emulsifier. Emulsifiers are used to combine two substances that wouldn't normally mix, such as oil and water. But in the case of bread, emulsifiers help to prevent something called starch retrogradation, or staling. They keep the moisture in the starch, essentially, so the bread doesn't dry out quite as quickly.
I knew egg yolks were magical...
ReplyDeletei had a gloworm doll. Only i was in spain, so it was a Gusyluz doll.
ReplyDelete